Monday, August 23, 2010

Object Lesson About Priorities of Life

Object Lesson about Priorities of Life

A philosophy professor once greeted his new class with this object lesson:

He had an empty, clean quart jar that he held up to the class.


In this he poured some rocks about the size of a half dollar. He poured them in until the jar was full. Then he asked the class was the jar full indeed. They all answered that it was full.



The professor then took a bag of smaller pebbles and poured them into the jar. He shook it so they would fall into the spaces between the larger rocks. The class laughed.

Once again, he asked, "Is the jar full?"

The class all answered again that it was full.



This time he picked up a cup of sand and poured it into the jar. Naturally, it filled up any left spaces as he shook it. He told his class to recognize that this represented their life. The rocks are the important things such as {GOD}, your family, your partner {SPOUSE), your children, your health, or anything so important to you that you would be nearly devastated if you lost it.



The pebbles are the other things in life that matter such as your house, job and car. The sand is everything else. The small stuff in life.


If you put the sand or the pebbles in the jar first, there will be no room for the rocks. Same goes for your life. If you spend all your time and energy on small stuff (material things), you will never have any time for the things that are truly most important. Pay attention to the things that are most critical in your life. Tell your spouse you love her, spend time playing with your children, take your spouse out dancing, take time for medical checkups. There will always be time to go to work, clean the house, give a dinner party, or fix the disposal.


Take care of the rocks first, the things that really matter to you. Set your priorities. The rest is just pebbles and sand!

Copied the italic paragraphs from: http://www.angelfire.com/sc2/beautyrecipes/LifePriorities.html
Pictures from: http://tarasuetakeawalkinmyshoes.blogspot.com/

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

I had heard of this "lesson" a few years ago and after reading it again today it definitely got my mind working. I question if my "Rocks" are really at the top of my priority list or is the "Sand" more than it should be.

I know my FIRST priority is/needs/wants to be God, why I can't find a simple 15-20 minutes of alone everyday.  So, that is going to be the FIRST thing I get right.  I already go to church regularly but I want that personal relationship with him.  I have already challenged myself to read the entire bible within the next year. 

Next, be more 'Family oriented'.  My family is literally my life, but I can always STRIVE to do better.  I want to do more one-on-one quality time with my boys.  I want to teach them so much about God, obedience, love, respect, trust, honor.  These boys could be the next; President, CEO, architech, doctor, law enforcement, manager, or whatever they put their mind to.  They need to know that we love and support them.   I love love LOVE (did I mention I LOVE) this verse in the bible: "Children born to a young man are like arrows in a warrior's hands." Psalm 127:4  My husband has 3 boys he will get to teach how to throw and catch a football/baseball/basketball. Wouldn't be awesome to see that same man teach his sons how to help/share/befriend/love/respect others. Moving on to my neices and nephews, I want to be there for them and their activities.  I want them to know that they are that special to us! We love both sides of our families so much and are very blessed with great wisdom from both.

I could go on and on with this blog post, but you get the idea.  I hope this 'object' lesson helps you with your journey through life.  GOD BLESS!



No comments: